FPT has been helping automotive manufacturers digitalize their business for over a decade. We offer a variety of services and tech solutions to some of the biggest automotive companies worldwide. Using the latest technologies, we come up with cutting edge solutions for our customers, from entertainment and navigation to connectivity to middleware. A digital transformation company with world-renown clientele, we’re certain we can handle all your digitization needs.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the digital transformation of the automotive business. Using a recent project with an automotive manufacturing client as an example, we’ll discuss the benefits and analyze the trends surrounding automotive digitization.
Digitizing Data for Automotive Manufacturer
The client was a major automobile manufacturer located in Japan with huge amounts of stored data, including customer documents, blueprints and drawings that were stored on hard copies or scanned digitally. To improve efficiency and save space, the client wanted to digitize the data using artificial intelligence and OCR technology, which would allow the data to be editable and searchable. The client also wanted to maximize data value for making essential business decisions.
Automotive Software Development
FPT worked closely with the client to convert their automotive data to digital format. Besides image processing and data entry, we developed a solution using both AI and human intelligence to ensure completely accurate results.
After having scanned the documents and blueprints, the AI extracted the data to a CVV file, storing the data using advanced OCR technology. This information was then reviewed, edited, and confirmed by human employees. The reviewed data helped to improve the AI’s performance. The AI converted and stored the data in pdf formats supported by multiple devices, such as PC, tablets, laptops, and smartphones.
Digital Transformation Technologies
OCR is a popular digital transformation technology that allows the user to convert documents, such as pdf, scanned papers and images, into data that can be both searched and edited. OCR stands for Optical Character Recognition and first became widespread in the 1990s when used to digitize old newspapers.
OCR is widespread and found in many systems we use every day. It’s used for data entry automation, document indexing for searches, as well as helping people who are blind or have visual impairments.
In our example, we use OCR to convert our clients numerous hard and scanned documents to digital form. The data is now not only easier to access but can be edited and analyzed as well.
Advances in technology continue to push the limits of the automotive industry. Manufacturers have to rely more on software to meet the needs of an increasingly demanding customer base that expects a better user experience. As the world becomes increasingly digital, it’s no surprise that transportation should be improved through the automobile industry. Here are the top five digitalization trends for the automotive industry we’ve noticed.
- Connectivity is Key. Today’s consumers want to be connected to the internet all the time and able to work from their transportation. So it’s no surprise that most modern vehicles come equipped with wifi allowing drivers to safely and reliably stay connected while travelling. Interfaces that enable drivers to perform work functions online while still driving safely, such as voice command, are in high demand and constantly improving.
- Predictive Vehicle Maintenance. Using IoT connectivity, this technology collects the car’s performance data and evaluates any potential problems. What’s more, the system informs the driver of the necessary vehicle maintenance.
- Better Data Protection. As a data-driven industry, automobile manufacturers work closely with software development teams to improve their product. Most modern cars collect data on driver’s locations, patterns, and destinations. This data is then used to provide the driver with a better driving experience. However, these systems must be secure to protect the driver’s personal info. Manufacturers work with software teams to improve the safety of such systems.
- As the world becomes increasingly digitalized, so does automotive manufacturing. Automotive manufacturing continues to trend towards increasingly relying on complex machinery and software to perform functions that were done by human workers earlier.
- Service Vehicles. Companies like Uber and Lyft have become increasingly popular and successful as a result of our interconnected world. Thanks to smartphone technologies, the user/driver experience has been greatly improved. An important part of connected living, transport companies like these also save consumers the cost of buying and maintaining a vehicle.
In the case of our automotive manufacturing client, we employed a simple digitalization strategy based on their needs. After assessing their needs, our software development team worked closely with the client to understand the industry specifics and ensure the data was properly converted. Lastly, we double-checked our digital conversions using human employees, making sure that the AI had learned how to convert the data properly.
Benefits of Digitalization
The benefits of digitalization are numerous and have significant implications for the automotive industry. In our example, the main benefit of digitalization was a huge reduction in paper use. Data was now stored digitally instead of on hard copies. What’s more, the AI could edit the data and optimize its value. Using OCR technology and tools developed by our team, our digital transformation system provided the client with improved efficiency and productivity in the workplace, a cost reduction of 20%, and accurate, reliable content conversion.
As you can see, the digitalization of business is a widespread phenomenon that’s only continuing to grow. Whether it’s developing entertainment and navigation software or programming a predictive maintenance solution, our company can provide your business with the services you need. Headquartered in Vietnam and helping to advance the digitalization of major cities like Singapore, FPT is one of the world’s top digital transformation agencies. Visit our website to find out more and discover how FPT can revolutionize your business.